Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry

ARTICLE
Year
: 2012  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 20  |  Page : 87--93

Caries Risk Assessment using cariogram among 10-12 year old differently abled children from Bangalore city


Swapnil Kumar Jain1, Pushpanjali Krishnappa2 
1 Asst Prof. Dept of Public Health Dentistry, Mansarovar Dental College, Bhopal, India
2 Professor and Head, Dept of Public Health Dentistry, M. S. Ramaiah Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, India

Correspondence Address:
Swapnil Kumar Jain
Asst Prof. Dept of Public Health Dentistry, Mansarovar Dental College, Bhopal
India

Introduction : Various models for predicting caries risk have been developed with good results. One such recently developed model is Cariogram. Cariogram systematize the evaluation of various risk factors for caries and recommends targeted preventive interventions based on caries risk. Aim: The purpose of the study was to assess the caries risk profile of 10-12 year old differently abled children using Cariogram. Materials and Methods: This was a cross sectional study with 78 participants. Parents of each participant were interviewed to gather the information regarding oral hygiene habits, any type of systemic or chronic illness. A self administered dietary questionnaire was given to them to record diet history. Subsequently clinical examination and salivary tests were carried out. The caries risk of each individual was then obtained by drawing up the Cariogram. Result: The Caries risk for each sector obtained was 6.65% for diet, 10.08% for bacteria, 15.85% for susceptibility and 5.88% for circumstances. Overall, the caries risk was 38.46% and chance to avoid caries was 61.54%. Conclusion: The study demonstrates that Cariogram is a useful model in determining caries risk and plan targeted preventive interventions in differently abled children.


How to cite this article:
Jain SK, Krishnappa P. Caries Risk Assessment using cariogram among 10-12 year old differently abled children from Bangalore city.J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2012;10:87-93


How to cite this URL:
Jain SK, Krishnappa P. Caries Risk Assessment using cariogram among 10-12 year old differently abled children from Bangalore city. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent [serial online] 2012 [cited 2022 May 23 ];10:87-93
Available from: https://www.jiaphd.org/article.asp?issn=2319-5932;year=2012;volume=10;issue=20;spage=87;epage=93;aulast=Jain;type=0